Our pediatric sedation team works to help a child stay calm or sleep through a potentially stressful or painful procedure or test. We provide an individualized sedation plan based on the need of each child. The pediatric sedation service provides sedation for painful or emotional procedures, including:
- Arthrocentesis (fluid drainage)
- Bone marrow biopsy
- Bronchoscopy (examination of a patient's airway)
- EEG (examination of electrical activity in the patient's brain)
- Lumbar puncture
- Radiologic evaluation (CT, MRI)
- Sexual assault examination
- Abscess care
- Chest tubes
- Foreign body removal
- Fracture reduction or dislocation
The Child Life team at Mission Children's Hospital minimizes the stress and anxiety for children involved in procedures. By providing child-friendly explanations and coping skills, our patients are better equipped to complete their diagnostic procedures with minimal sedation and sometimes no sedation. Learn more about Child Life.
Contact & Referral Info
If you believe your child could benefit from our services:
- Have your physician make a referral by calling 828-213-2222
- Once the referral has been made we will call you to schedule an appointment and provide you with paperwork which must be returned prior to your appointment.
Come to Mission Children's Hospital, 509 Biltmore Avenue, for your appointment.