The Respiratory Care Department at Mission Children's Hospital provides treatments for breathing and lung diseases, sleep disorders, neuromuscular illnesses and allergic problems.
With a broad range of services from Pulmonary Function Tests to Sleep Studies, our dedicated team provides care for a number of conditions. If your child suffers from one of the following, or a breathing or sleep concern not listed here, please contact our team for an appointment.
- Abnormal chest x-rays
- Chronic cough
- Chronic lung disease in premature infants
- Cystic fibrosis
- Difficulty breathing
- Noisy breathing
- Restrictive lung disease
- Recurring pneumonia
- Neuromuscular disease
- Daytime sleepiness
- Narcolepsy, frequent and uncontrollable periods of deep sleep
- Obstructive sleep apnea
Complete Pulmonary Function Tests (PFTs), including:
- Lung volumes
- Diffusion Capacity
- Airway resistance
- Exercise (Cardio-Pulmonary Stress) Testing
- Rhinolarygoscopy (RCOC), to evaluate the larynx or vocal cords, and the nasal passageways.
- Bronchoscopy, to evaluate airway anatomy, obtain cultures from the lower respiratory tract, exclude aspiration of a foreign object, or to exclude other anatomic problems.
- Sleep Studies, to evaluate possible sleep disorders including breathing, limb movement, or narcolepsy. Sleep studies are often helpful in children with neuromuscular conditions such as Cerebral Palsy and Muscular Dystrophy, Down Syndrome, obesity, and ADHD.
- Sweat Chloride testing, to evaluate for cystic fibrosis
- Allergy testing
- Basal Metabolic Rate Testing
Our Care Team:
At Mission Children's Hospital, our goal is to provide individualized care using our extensive team of specialists. Our pediatric pulmonologist, Dr. Bruce Bacot, works with a team that includes respiratory therapists, nutritionists, pediatric pharmacists and social workers. This team also works closely with other pediatric specialists including endocrinologists, neurologists and gastroenterologists.
All of our respiratory therapists are certified by the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC) and hold Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) certifications.
We also have specialty trained respiratory therapists who are integral members of the Neonatal and Pediatric Service Line and Infant Transport Team. They attend all high risk deliveries and are responsible for oxygen related treatment needs.
In our efforts to fully support your family and provide assistance that goes beyond your initial medical needs, we also offer services such as Child Life, which helps children and their families manage challenging events; the Family Support Network, a parent-to-parent mentoring program; and family-centered psychotherapy and behavioral therapy.
Most of our appointments and services are locatedat the Reuter Children's Outpatient Center. The Respiratory Care Team provides services in many locations, including:
- Reuter Outpatient Center
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)
- In-patient pediatric floors
- Ground and air transport (Mountain Area Medical Airlift, MAMA) If your child needs to be hospitalized, we will work with Mission Hospital (Memorial Campus) to ensure the best care.
If your child suffers from any of these conditions or you are concerned about his or symptoms please have your primary doctor make a referral that includes sending us records, lab and x-ray results, and growth records. After the referral has been made and a referral form submitted, please call us at 828-213-1740 to schedule an appointment.